Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A celebration of LIFE

"If you don’t follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable."

“Boys, you must strive to find your own voice. Because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Don't be resigned to that. Break out! “

Now we all have a great need for acceptance, but you must trust that your beliefs are unique, your own, even though others may think them odd or unpopular, even though the herd may go”

“It's the magic of risking everything for a dream that nobody sees but you”

“There is magic in fighting battles beyond endurance”

Oh well, so there is a fair bit of dialogue eh? These are some of my favorite ones. Million Dollars Baby, Dead Poet’s Society. But the first one is something I listened to today. And man! What a movie and what an actor. It was from World’s Fastest Indian and the actor was Anthony Hopkins. It is supposed to be a real life depiction of some bike fanatic. He plays the lead role, an old guy with a problem in his ticker (that’s his heart). He is from NZ and with a lot of spunk. He goes all the way to US of A to time his bike. (Read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Munro )

Then there was this movie – Without Limits. This was a bio on Steve PreFontaine. He was a gutsy runner from US; Oregon I think. He died in a car crash and was pretty young. Early 20ish. (www.prefontainerun.com ) and (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Prefontaine )

In my life have I witnessed any such characters? Well there was this Maniraj – who ran the 5000m in our annual sports day. Browne and Bradshaw chipping away to victory against England in Champions trophy, Albert Costa winning handful of 5 setters in French Open after trailing 2 sets to nil, my Avvai kho-kho & Volleyball team during my 12th std and Sampath sir – he took Veda and Sanskrit for us. It was almost like someone forgot to tell them that they aren’t expected to do what they set upon. And what a journey they had and what an experience they gave us! It was inspiring and exhilarating in equal amounts.

And yes, I feel the same euphoria when I listen to Beethoven’s 9th symphony (especially that chorus sends me into a trance)

I wonder when I will give such a performance myself. What is holding me back? Fear of failure? Nothing great will ever be achieved without moving your ass. And when you have got such a derriere as mine, you better get it moving. Inshallah.

No comments:

Post a Comment