You know it when you listen to a great song. Some can dissect the song to find out the causes of greatness – bass, tone, note, soul etc, while others cant. However there is one thing common between the music aficionados and the nyaana soonyams (like me). It is that the song touches a chord in our heart. Makes us hum the tune. Makes us sing the song.
So what was it that made me pen this? Hmm…it is this song sung by Talat Mahmood in Sujata. The song was picturized on Sunil Dutt (who looked dashing). It goes like this –
- Jalte hain jiske liye, teri aankhon ke liye
Dhoond laya hoon wohi, geet main tere liye (2)
Dil mein rakh lena isse haathon se yeh choote na kahin,
Geet naazuk hai mera sheeshe se bhi toote na kahin (2)
Gun gunaoonga yehi geet main tere liye
Jalte hain jiske liye (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7enKed5Zg5g )
Then there are those songs which makes the hair on your back stand up with their soul stirring voice. Here is a list of my personal favourites -
- Ae mere pyaare watan, ae mere bichde chaman, tujhpe dil qurbaan by Manna De in Kabuliwala is one such thing.
- Tum jo mil gaye ho, to aisa lagta hai, yeh jahaan mil
(by Md.Rafi for Navin Nischol) gaya
- Mere naina saawan baadhon (Kishore for Rajesh Khanna)
- Tu Kahaan, Yeh Bataa Is Nasheeli Raat Mein (Rafi in Tere Ghar Ke Saamne)
Then comes your lazy, drooling and leisurely paced songs listening to which you immediately enter into a theta state of mind. These are –
- Yeh raat yeh chaandni fir kahaan, sun ja dil ki daastaan (Hemant or Manna De? Not sure)
- Hai apna dil to awara, na jaane kis pe aayega (Hemant)
- Tum Pukar Lo, Tumhaara Intezaar Hai (Hemant/Manna? Doubt again)
Next in our list are those nasheela bhara songs best enjoyed with a glass in hand
- Dhin Dhal Jaye Haye, Raat Na aaye
- Tu Toh Na Aaye Teri Yaad Sathaaye (Rafi in Guide)
- Choo lene do nazuk haoton ko, kuch aur nahi hai jam hai yeh (Rafi for Rajkumar)
- Dho Ghoont Maine Pi, Aur Saer Duniya Ki, Dekho Main Kar Ke Aa Gaya (Rafi again)
Finally there is this really happy, feel good type of songs. By themselves nothing great in them and yet they have their effect on you – especially if you see the movie in which the songs feature.
- Thoda hai, thode ki zaroorat hai (Khatta Meetha)
- Suniye Kahiye, Kahiye Suniye, Kehte Sunte Baaton Baaton Main Pyaar Ho Jaayega (from Baaton Baaton Main)
- Dil Dhoondta Hai Phir Wohi Fursat ke Raat Dhin (from Mausam)
Am not done yet. Coz there are lot more gaane which has made an impact in me. Will come in later posts.
Lemme sign off with the beautiful sng that I am listening to now –
Humne dekhi un aankhon ki mehekti khushboo, Haath se chook eisse rishthon ka inzaam na do. Sirf ehsaas hai yeh rooh se mehsoos karo, Pyaar ko pyaar hi rehne do koi naam do